If you’re wondering how to best brew french roast coffee, look no further than the French Press. This manual brewing method has become quite popular among coffee lovers because of its simplicity and delicious results.
Don’t be intimidated by the fancy sounding name--brewing coffee with a french press is one of the fastest and easiest ways to make your morning cup perfectly. In fact, the process is so simple, you don’t really have to do much but push down a plunger. Brewing with a french press is something anyone can do as long as they have the right ingredients or equipment.
But first, let’s talk about how it’s different with other coffee makers.
Brewing with a French Press vs other Coffee Makers
There are many ways to make coffee, especially with the vast selection of coffee makers available. Even with many options around, the french press remains as one of the top ways to brew your coffee.
Here are some the reasons why coffee aficionados love making coffee with a french press:
1. It’s cost-effective and affordable.
Among the many coffee makers on the market, the french press is perhaps one of the cheapest and most cost-effective options available. A high quality french press won’t break the bank, unlike overly complicated machines. Another great thing to note about the french press is that there’s a variety of sizes and models to choose from, all within different price ranges!
2. It’s portable and easy to use.
French presses are light and easy to carry around, making them the perfect choice for people who don’t have a lot of space for big machines.
3. It’s going to give you more control over your coffee.
French press coffee makers allow you to have more control over your coffee-making process. When using the french press, you have more control over the water, coffee, and temperature. Make sure that you utilize that control and perfect your cup of coffee!
If you’re still looking for tips and tricks or if you’re still feeling a little confused, then here is our guide to making delicious coffee using a French Press:
What Do You Need When Making French Press Coffee?
Making coffee with a french press is simple, straightforward, and something that you can do every morning quite easily. Unlike some coffee machines, a French Press doesn’t have complicated buttons or a long waiting period--making it perfect for even absolute beginners! With the right materials and ingredients, anyone can make their perfect cup of coffee every day.
Before you start brewing, make sure you have these ready in your pantry:
1. High Quality Premium Coffee Beans
Delicious coffee starts with high quality coffee beans. When brewing with a french press, remember that you’re going to get a cup of coffee with a strong taste so make sure to choose a flavor that you’re sure you’ll enjoy.
2. Coffee Grinder
When making coffee with a french press, you’re going to be using coffee grounds. While there are coffee grounds readily available on the market, excellent coffee comes from freshly ground coffee beans. Invest in a trusty coffee grinder that lets you have consistently sized, coarse ground coffee to avoid sediments in your morning cup.
3. Measuring Cups and Digital Scales
When it comes to preparing coffee, you should be measuring things out to maximize the flavor. Avoid watered down or bitter coffee by measuring out your coffee grounds and the water. While this may differ depending on preference, most coffee lovers will agree that the optimal coffee to water ratio when using a french press is 14g (approximately 2 tablespoons) of coffee grounds to 1 cup of water.
4. Coffee Stirrer
Before you actually push the plunger down on your french press, you need to break the top layer of the coffee to ensure that the coffee is extracted correctly. Get a long-stemmed spoon, but avoid one that is made of metal so you don’t damage your french press.
Using a french press is fairly simple and perhaps the biggest thing you have to be concerned with is the steeping time. Have a timer nearby or on hand when you brew your drink so you can push down that plunger at exactly the right time.
How to Make French Press Coffee?
Making coffee with a french press is fairly simple. If you’re going to be using a french press to brew your favorite drink, the best thing is that you don’t have to adjust a lot of things. You really only need hot water and your coffee grounds.
Here’s our step-by-step guide to preparing coffee with a french press:
1. Boil water and pour it over your french press. This step is important as it warms up your french press, ultimately helping the device maintain a constant temperature throughout the brewing process. You can pour out this water later, before you put in coffee grounds.
2. Measure and grind your coffee beans. When brewing with a french press, you’ll be using coffee grounds. If you have high quality beans on hand, it’s always a good option to grind them before you brew. That being said, if you have premium coffee grounds on hand, make sure to measure these grounds so that you get perfectly brewed coffee.
3. Pour fresh hot water over your coffee grounds. Once you’ve discarded the water from the first pour and put the coffee grounds in the french press, it’s time to pour hot water over the grounds. Make sure that you’ve let the water cool down for a minute so as not to scald the grounds.
4. Break the top layer with a long spoon.
5. Allow your coffee to steep. One of the most important parts of making french press coffee is letting the grounds steep an ample amount of time. If you’ve been wondering how long to steep your coffee in a french press, most coffee aficionados would agree that it takes about 4 minutes for the coffee to steep completely.
Brew the Perfect Cup with A French Press
The french press remains as one of the top brewing choices for coffee lovers because it is simple, easy-to-use, and affordable. Making coffee with a french press gives coffee lovers a strong and robust cup of coffee that is sure to make any coffee connoisseur happy. Just be sure to have the right ingredients and materials prepared.
Thankfully, it’s not hard to find these items. Curated offers the Coffee Lover Gift Set, a premium coffee bean gift set that includes a pack of single origin coffee beans, a high quality french press, and a small kitchen scale. Get yours now and start enjoying french press coffee daily.