A morning energy boost is what most people need when they drink coffee. For coffee lovers, a daily dose of caffeine is just the right way to start the day. Take Kapeng Barako, for example. This traditional Filipino coffee is widely regarded as a top-tier brew that will get your day going strong. Did you know, however, that there are other Kapeng Barako benefits besides simply providing energy?
In this article, we’ll tell you all you need to know about the advantages of brewing and drinking Kapeng Barako.
Kapeng Barako Origins
Barako coffee, or Kapeng Barako, is a famous coffee in the country that comes from the Coffea Liberica plant, a coffee varietal species. Its origins date back 200 years ago when it was first planted in Lipa, Batangas. During that time, an early Franciscan missionary was responsible for introducing coffee to the country. Since then, this type of coffee has been growing in the provinces of Batangas and Cavite.
This quintessential Filipino coffee was named so because the Filipino term barako, used to call a wild boar, symbolizes power and strength. Local coffee farmers then derived the name “Kapeng Barako” because it had a strong taste and a powerful aroma. In addition, Kapeng Barako has a smoky, chocolatey, and spicy flavor that distinguishes it from other coffee beans.
When Barako coffee beans were imported to the United States and Europe in the 18th century, they were five times more expensive than other Asian varieties. This is when Kapeng Barako first gained popularity. Then, in the 19th century, a disease called coffee leaf rust devastated the country's crops. Because of this, production went down, and in the end, farmers stopped growing coffee in favor of other crops.
In the middle of the 20th century, instant coffee brought the industry back to life. Kapeng Barako may not have returned to its former glory, but that didn’t stop it from becoming one of the most popular coffee beans for sale in the Philippines.
Kapeng Barako Benefits
Kapeng Barako can be brewed in various ways, including the drip method, the French press, or just by sprinkling hot water over the grinds and filtering the result with a cloth. Once brewed, you’ll experience many of its benefits. Besides having more energy in the morning, here are some health benefits of Barako coffee:
- When comparing Kapeng Barako vs. instant coffee, the former is a better choice than the latter because instant 3-in-1 coffee usually contains enormous amounts of sugar. Too much sugar can cause serious health risks like diabetes, so drinking Kapeng Barako is relatively healthier.
- According to experts, Kapeng Barako consumption increases lifespan. This is because it reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes by up to 50%.
- Drinking brewed coffee such as Kapeng Barako can lessen the risk of gout and cancer because of the antioxidants present in the brew.
- Barako coffee drinking may also reduce the chances of developing cardiovascular disease and dementia by about 65% in late life.
- Due to its caffeine content, drinking Kapeng Barako may also reduce the risk of developing Parkinson's disease. Additionally, it might improve the movement control of those with the condition.
- People may lose weight by drinking coffee. In a 2018 study, researchers found that the more coffee people drank, the more their average weight, body mass index (BMI), and fat mass went down.
- According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, women who consume at least one cup of coffee daily have a lower risk of developing stroke.
- Drinking dark roast Kapeng Barako can make your DNA stronger. Dark roast coffee lessens DNA strand breaks, which occur naturally but can cause cancer or tumors if the cells don't repair them.
- Your liver can also benefit from regular coffee drinking. Experts say that coffee prevents liver diseases like cancer, fibrosis, and cirrhosis.
- It can also be used for skin care, as some spas use Kapeng Barako as a body scrub for their spa services.
As you can see, there are lots of advantages to using Kapeng Barako. This proves that brewed coffee drinking is a healthy lifestyle choice. Do you want to learn more about brewed coffee? Check out our earlier piece, where we explored the many differences between brewed and instant coffee.
Reap the Benefits of Drinking Kapeng Barako
Indeed, using Kapeng Barako as one of your coffee shop's beans or just for your own consumption can result in significant health wonders.
Kapeng Barako is just one of the many coffee beans available in the country. With the right amount of coffee, you’ll reap the benefits of Kapeng Barako in no time. If you want to know more about the Philippines’ premium coffee beans, visit our website and explore the wonders of coffee drinking!